The Young Entrepreneur Award, which was launched in 2013, is part of the joint Nor-Shipping/YoungShip effort to further develop Nor-Shipping as an arena for the next generation.
Open to nominees from all segments of the industry, it honors an under 40-year-old professional who has founded a successful company that spearheads challenges or solutions in a new way. In addition to receiving the award in front of a prominent industry audience at a Nor-Shipping conference, the winner received a free display area at the Nor-Shipping exhibition and advice and evaluation from a venture company.
Eligible candidates could be from any segment of the industry and located anywhere in the word but could not be over the age of 40 at the time of Nor-Shipping 2015 (June 2-5).
The winner demonstrated excellence within one or more of the following areas:
- Representing new concepts and solutions for existing or new industry challenges.
- Offering technically or commercially innovative solutions.
- Taking on the business of the industry in a new way and adapting it to an even more globalized world undergoing rapid change.
- New logistical solutions, looking at new ways for the industry to become even more efficient.
- Creating jobs within the maritime sector.
- Taking on the environmental challenges of the industry, creating new solutions of a technical, operational and/or commercial nature.
Selected by the YoungShip International board and representing a broad spectrum of the industry, an independent jury of six professionals selected the winner. The Director of Nor-Shipping also sat on the jury.
- José María Figueres Olsen – President and co-founder of Carbon War Room and Co-Chair of the Global Ocean Commission
- Elisabeth Grieg – Chair of Grieg Star Group and CEO of Grieg International
- Andreas Sohmen-Pao – CEO of BW Group
- Roberto Giorgi – Honorary President of V.Ships
- Peter Hinchliffe – Secretary General at the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) and International Shipping Federation (ISF)
- Chris Hayman – Executive Chairman and owner of Seatrade Communications Ltd
- Birgit Liodden – Founder of YoungShip International
- Jon Halvard Bolstad Olsen – President at YoungShip Oslo
Together with the President of YoungShip Oslo, the Secretary General of YoungShip International lead the jury.