With a focus on innovation, the Next Generation Ship Award honors the most promising design for ships that will be at sea in the coming decade.
At the Nor-Shipping Opening Conference on June 2, four nominees were publicly honored for their innovative ship design.
The Next Generation Ship Award was awarded to the ship project demonstrating the greatest advances and innovation in design. The design was assessed with respect to energy efficiency, innovation, suitability and flexibility, technology utilization, safety and security and environmental sustainability. All ship types were be given equal consideration, regardless of size or segment.
Since innovative efficient designs often emerge through active collaboration between companies, collaborators may jointly apply. Eligible projects are those that are contracted but not delivered or are likely to be contracted and built within the next 10 years.
An independent jury selected the award’s four official nominees, including the winner who was recognized at the Nor-Shipping Opening Conference on June 2. The jury included representatives from:
- DNV GL – Jan Kvålsvold, Director for Market & Business Development and Ketil Aamnes, Phd, Vice President and Regional Manager - Maritime Advisory
- IHS Maritime – Michael Jones, Technology Analyst/Senior Journalist
- Norwegian Shipowners’ Associaton – Erik Gierscky, Head of Communication
- The Norwegian Marine Technology Research Institute (MARINTEK) – Per Magne Einang, Research Director
- Nor-Shipping – Vidar Pederstad, Director
- Chairman, Malcolm Latarche, maritime journalist